Printing newspapers - this calculator will help you estimate the cost of printing newspapers and other products printed on newsprint or offset 45-70 g/m2 paper. Printing technique: web (rotary) printing.
A newspaper means a product with aall pages printed on a same-type paper (newsprint or offset paper), up to 192 pages, stapled or not. This tool is used to calculate the cost of printing newspapers:
- by publishing houses specializing in periodicals;
- advertisers (advertising agents) wishing to know the minimum price of the advertising medium;
- organizations and companies issuing intra-company periodicals or occasional publications for certain events (corporate parties, anniversaries, etc.);
- individuals wishing to issue an inexpensive newspaper on a certain occasion (birthday, jubilee, wedding, etc.);
- political parties, NGOs and movements wishing to get an inexpensive large-circulation PR product within tight deadlines;
- other publishers.
Unique features of the Printing Newspapers online calculator:
1. Number of pages:
- for A2 and B3 formats - 2,4,6,8,12,16…+4 pages;
- for A3 and B4 formats - 4,8,12,16,24,32…+8 pages;
- for A4 and B5 formats - 8,16,24,32,48,64…+16 pages.
(if you need to calculate the cost of printing for a 4-page A4 or B5 publication or 2-page A3, A4, B4, B5 publications use the Printing Leaflets calculator)
2. This calculator can be used for products with a maximum of 192 pages (if your publication has more pages, please, use the Printing Magazines calculator);
3. The maximum number of colours for newspaper products is 4+4.
Newspapers are printed using the web (rotary) technique. The advantages of rotary newspaper printing are high speed, substantial savings printing large issues within tight time limits. A modern web press allows printing about 50,000 newspaper copies per hour, i.e. over 1 million newspapers a day.
Newspapers are printed on 45 g/m2 newsprint paper or 70 g/m2 offset paper fed to the printing machine in rolls. The newsprint paper for our house in Kyiv is mainly supplied from Kondopoga, Syktyvkar, Solikamsk, Volga (Russia), Zhydachiv (Ukraine). An A3 8-page newspaper weights approx. 23 grams.
A special feature of web printing is that the printing machine renders folded A2, A3, A4, B3, B4, B5 8-64-page blocks. This is why web presses are also often used to print books, magazines, brochures, catalogues, copybooks, guidebooks.
Therefore, an advantage of web printing compared with sheet-fed offset printing is high performance, cost-efficiency, no separate folding or sheeting process.
Minimum quantities for cost-efficient web newspaper printing:
- newspapers - starting from 1000 copies or more.
- leaflets - starting from 8000 copies or more.
- books, magazines, brochures, catalogues from 16 А4 pages – starting from 1000 copies or more.
Web presses used to coldset-print newspapers:
MAN Roland Uniset - printing on newsprint and offset paper, density from 43 g/m2, colours /4+4/; formats: A2, A3, A4; B3, B4, newspaper blocks of 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 64 pages; circulations from 3,000 copies. Automated roll replacement allows non-stop printing, thus allowing printing 1 million newspapers a day at a 45,000 copies/hour cruise speed. This web press also ensures automated plate consolidation, thus guaranteeing high printing quality, flawless impression, saturated and bright colours, smooth tinting. This web printing technology is efficient for publishing houses issuing periodicals; advertising agencies printing inexpensive newspapers with tight budgets; political parties, NGOs wishing to print large newspaper circulations within tight time limits.